- To Do Lists. To Do Lists basically help me function. I have a weekly To Do List and then write daily To Do Lists and I put the dumbest stuff on my daily lists. Stuff that I am absolutely going to do whether or not it’s on my list. But I mix it in with the stuff I do need to remember or that I would put off otherwise and then I feel so successful when I cross off something easy like “Take the garbage out” or “sweep the kitchen”. Anybody else work this way?
- All the assorted Valentines Day celebrations of the week. Turns out Valentines Day is a Big Deal in elementary school and it was so fun to watch Pearl get to enjoy it.
- Nova Scotia has a new premier named Iain Rankin. NOT the same person as the Scottish novelist but a Facebook thread started by a former bookstore co-worker of mine showed me that I was not alone in my initial reaction. (Namely thinking, “Ian Rankin is Canadian? And in politics?”)
- A snowy day. We’ve had a cold snap this week with temperatures dipping below zero (very unusual for us) and on Wednesday we had snow fall most of the day. Almost none of it stuck but it was nice to watch it fall from inside our cozy house.
- Also celebrating Chinese New Year around here!
- Dress up day at school. Obviously that means Rose dressed up too.
- Pearl had a day off school and Rose and I were so excited to have her home for an extra day. We had the best day all together. Wore our pyjamas all morning, baked cookies, played, went for a bike ride, watched a movie. And then, as a cherry on top, the girls both liked the new recipe I tried for dinner! Monday is also a holiday here so we’re going into a long weekend!
(Yes, they love to match. They wanted to be twins that day and were convinced that I wouldn’t be able to tell them apart.)
- This quote that has been running through my head as I work on my own patience, especially in my role as a mother:
Patience is one of the places where faith, hope, and love meet up.– N.T. Wright
Happy Lunar New Year! Happy Valentine’s Day!